This is a unique preparation with pearl spot fish, marinated with a rich blend of spices and baked in a banana leaf. Truly, a dish that will leave you craving for more!
01. Pearlspot fish (medium sized) – 2
02. Onions – ¼ kg
Ginger – a small piece
Garlic – a pod
Green chillies – 4
03. Tomatoes (finely chopped) – 4
04. Chill1 powder – 1 ½ tbsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Pepper powder – ½ tsp
Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
05. Vinegar – 2 tbsp
06. Salt – to taste
07. Coconut oil- 4 tbsp
08. Cinnamon – 2 small pieces
01. Clean the fish very well, make slits on it and drain well till dry.
02. Chop the onions, ginger , garlic and green chillies finely. Grind the ingredients under 4, with a little vinegar, to a fine paste.
03. Heat the coconut oil in a heavy bottom pan (urli) , fry the cinnamon pieces and remove. Now add the ingredients under 2 and sauté well. When the onions are cooked thoroughly, add the ground paste and fry well on a low flame. When the raw smell goes, add the tomatoes and sauté well again.
04. When the mixture is well sautéed, add 2 cups of boiling water. When the gravy boils, add the salt and the remaining vinegar and mix well.
05. Add the fish pieces into the gravy and sauté till the gravy thickens and the fish is cooked well.
06. Now, wrap each piece of fish, along with the masala gravy inside a banana leaf. Tie securely with banana fibre and roast on a hot tava.